J.E. Ogden, son of Dr. B.B. and Kathryn Ogden, was born in East Liverpool, OH., March 16, 1863, and passed away at his home in Mount Ayr, IA., July 16, 1924, aged 61 years and four months. While he had not enjoyed rugged health for a number of years, his last illness was of less than a weeks duration. On Wednesday evening, July 10, he suffered a stroke of apoplexy and it was at once realized that the end was near. He soon lapsed into unconsciousness and in this condition lingered until ten o’clock Wednesday evening, when the death summons came. His death was peaceful, like the passing into a deep sleep. His devoted wife and only sister, Mrs. Hannah Slentz, with other loved ones were at the bedside when the end came. Mr. Ogden grew to manhood in East Liverpool, OH. and when twenty years of age, in 1882 came to Mount Ayr to accept a position as clerk in the store owned by his brother-in-law, the late G. A. Slentz, with whom he was associated in business until the death of Mr. Slentz four years ago. On May 17, 1887, he was united in marriage to Miss Eva F. Woods of Aledo, IL., at Wirt, now Ellston, in this county, and the home was established at Kellerton, where he managed a store for Mr. Slentz for about 2 years, later moving to Shannon City, where he had charge of a store for three years. He was manager of the Slentz store at Tingley for ten years. In the early nineties Mr. Ogden moved to Portland, OR., where he was engaged in the mercantile business for a time and then returned to Mount Ayr. On April 1, this year, he became associated with J.A. McNerney in the bakery business and his death is a distinct loss to the business interests of the community. Mr. Ogden was brought up in the Presbyterian Church and on coming to Mount Ayr he united with the United Presbyterian Church. He was ever faithful in attendance upon the church services and was known as a true Christian gentleman. He also was a member of a family of five children, four brothers and one sister. Two brothers preceded him in death. His surviving brother, George E. Ogden, who from early manhood until about two years ago resided in Mount Ayr, lives in Auburn, IN., and on account of his own physical weakness was unable to be present at the funeral. Mr. Ogden was a worthy member of Faith Lodge No 179, A.F. and A.M., a Knight Templar, a Shriner and the I.O.O.F. The death of Mr. Ogden marks the passing of on of Ringgold County’s most highly respected citizens. Practically his entire mature life was spent in this county and at his death the heart of the community is touched with profound sorrow. Honest and conscientious in all his dealings; courteous and kind; ever interested in the welfare of those with whom he came in contact, he commanded the respect, confidence and friendship of his acquaintances. The funeral was held Saturday afternoon at two o’clock from the United Presbyterian Church, being conducted by Rev. W.L. Torrence, of St. Charles, assisted by Rev. Nathan Weingart, of Des Moines. The funeral was largely attended and the floral offerings were profuse and beautiful. The body was laid to rest in Rose Hill Cemetery.