If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
Next month’s primary election features a two-man race for the Republican nomination for Ringgold County sheriff.
Rob Haley of Mount Ayr is the current Ringgold County sheriff.
Landon White of Tingley lists his current/past occupations as law enforcement, government contractor (Explosive Detection Dog Handler) at federal facilities, Iowa Department of Corrections and United States Marine Corps. [He is a current Ringgold County deputy.]
As in the past elections, the Record-News has asked the candidates to respond to a brief set of questions aimed at providing voters insight into the candidates’ positions.
Their answers are presented here in their entirety with only minor editorial changes, if necessary.
[Candidates running unopposed in their party’s primary are not included in this series of articles.]
RN: Describe your involvement in community activities.
White: Member of the American Legion.
• Active member of the United Methodist Church;
• Mount Ayr Golf and Country Club member and past President/Board member;
• Attend and support school and community fundraisers;
• Attend and support benefits for Ringgold County residents;
• Actively support school functions by attending the athletics, drama and academic events;
• Past Little League softball and basketball coach;
• Over the years I have volunteered my time at various businesses in town;
• Ringgold County Teen Center and Princess Theater;
• Ringgold County Suicide Prevention Task Force.
RN: Describe your experience in law enforcement and/or leadership positions, decision-making positions, etc.
• Over 20 consecutive years at Ringgold County Sheriff’s Office – Appointed Sheriff November 2018. Deputy for 6 years, Chief Deputy Sheriff and Jail Administrator for 13 years;
• Develop/manage $1 million+ budget
• Grant writing skills to decrease budget costs
• Effectively managed Jailers, Dispatchers, Deputies and Reserve Officers
• Active LEIN (Law Enforcement Intelligence Network) member
• Active ISSDA (Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association) member
• Fire Arms Instructor
• Assist with monthly Reserve Officer training/education
• Serve on Suicide Prevention Task Force
• Chairman of EMA Board
• Chairman of 911 Board
• Police chief – performed duties to include budgeting, scheduling, writing department standard operating procedures, responsible for training and equipment, firearms instructor.
• Government contractor – senior level supervisor giving support to daily operations and training.
• Coordinated and oversaw security sweeps (explosive detection),
• Project manager-oversaw federal contracts, each totaling more than one million dollars in revenue.
• Compliance agent – ensuring