If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
Results from the latest Iowa Statewide Assessment of Student Progress (ISASP) for Mount Ayr elementary students were presented at the Monday, June 14 meeting of the Mount Ayr Community Schools board of directors.
Elementary principal Chris Elwood was unable to attend Monday’s meeting due coaching at a high school baseball game, but he included results in his written report to the board.
Elwood provided the following proficiency scores for math and English/Language Arts (plus science in 5th grade):
6th math – 95
6th ELA – 88
5th math – 82
5th ELA – 86
5th science – 76
4th math – 97
4th ELA – 90
3rd math – 77
3rd ELA – 60
“We’re very pleased with our ISASP results from this spring,” Elwood wrote. “To have students in 3rd-6th grade at 81% proficiency in ELA and 87% proficiency in math are fantastic, considering the craziness of this school year and with no in-person instruction during the 4th quarter last year.”
The board approved the hiring of three new staff members:
• Richard Speas was hired as the high school social studies instructor and head baseball coach’
• Thomas Kerwin was hired as night custodian;
• Ryan Victor was hired as assistant weights instructor.
In addition, the board approved Hannah Dentlinger to serve as volunteer volleyball assistant.
In other business the board:
• set school registration for the 2021-2022 school year for Monday, August 2 from 9 a.m – 4 p.m. and Tuesday, August 3 2-7 p.m.
• approved a three-year contract with the firm of Van Maanen, Fiestra, Meyer, and Nikkel, PC to provide audit services for the district. The cost for year one is $12,900. year two $13,265, and year three $13,625.
• approved a renewal of the PowerSchool agreement for $59,087.90. PowerSchool is the district’s student information system provider.
• approved the purchase of a 2022 four-wheel-drive Chevrolet Suburban from Glendenning Motors in Mount Ayr for $47.470.
• approved the handbooks for the elementary, secondary, and Little Raider Pre-school.