If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
Please enter your email and we will send your username and password to you.
Mount Ayr city council met Monday December 5 to consider numerous items, mostly centered on administrative needs.
Local Option Sales Tax
The city voted to request a setting in wording, and to set a date for an election, renewing the local option sales tax on goods and services in Mt. Ayr; the tax would be extended through July 1 2027. Revenue from the tax would be divided, with 25 percent going toward the construction and operation of the proposed public aquatic center, and the other 75 percent set aside for any other lawful purpose determined by the council.
The topic of the state of insurance for City employees, was considered. Trevor Bingham, of GBL city insurance broker representative, was on hand to discuss possible plans and their advantages over the current policy. After approximately an hour consideration, the board voted on retaining the current plan.
A vote was taken to retain Erin Hardisty and Marc Elcock, as co-counsel for the city regarding legal matters. The vote also authorized Disclosure and consent for association with outside counsel, both votes passed unopposed.
Variances and adjustments
The city also voted to appeal the decision made by the board of adjustments regarding the properties on 204 Dunning avenue in violation of ordinance regarding distance from street.
Matters deferred to the December 19 session were the removal of approximately 27 trees on city property, changes to the employee handbook regarding maternity leave, appraisal of properties on 703 N Cleveland and 206 E Jefferson streets, an the purchase of a new garbage truck