Skip to content

Edmund Arthur Keating

Announcement of the death of Arthur Keating about 9:30 o’clock Monday morning brought profound sorrow to the hearts of the people of the community. Arthur was universally loved; he was admired for his sterling character; his ability and determination to succeed in life commanded respect and his cheerful disposition endeared him to all his acquaintances.

   Edmund Arthur Keating, son of Curtis R. and Lucy F. Keating, was born at Mount Ayr, Iowa, May 18, 1897. He died at his father’s home June 3, 1918, at the age of 21 years, and 16 days.

     He completed the High School course here with the class of 1916. Then he attended the Capital City Commercial College, graduating from that course last January. He found employment awaiting him at once with a business house at Marshalltown, but just when the career for which he had made such careful preparation, and which he showed remarkable aptitude was fairly begun, sickness and death cut it short.

From infancy he had suffered a serious physical handicap, coming from something akin to infantile paralysis. The skill of many specialists could not correct the difficulty. Then a few months before his graduation from High School an automobile accident occurred which resulted in a broken thigh, for which also no cure was found.

These physical afflictions brought to view however an endowment of will power and courage which were sublime. He made up the lost time in school and graduated with his class. He laid farsighted financial plans to prevent himself being financially dependent in after years. He was an untiring worker. And above all he took heroic attitude toward his trials, without the least suggestion of sourness or rebellion. He maintained an evenness of temper and a patience of spirit which are seldom equaled. And he was considerate of others to a marked degree.

The secret of his heroism was undoubtedly to be found in his religious life. He had a boyishly frank comradeship with Jesus Christ which led him to face life as he faced death–absolutely unafraid. He had joined the church in 1910 and ever afterward took his religion as a serious and vital part of life. He desired to live and set about overcoming death by sheer will power. When asked if he doubted his recovery he replied: “If such a thought ever occurred to me I dismissed it.” But the odds against him were too great. When tuberculosis was added to the number of his foes there was small room for hope.

He is survived by his father and mother, by three brothers, and a large number of friends. His brother, Maurice H. at Minneapolis and Frank W. at Fort Logan, CO., are both just at the beginning of their service of the nation. Joe, the remaining brother, is still at home. A sister, Anna, died in 1908.

The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved family. Arthur was loved and respected by all who knew him. Funeral services will be held at the Methodist Church Thursday afternoon.

Leave a Comment