Skip to content

John N. Lineburg

The final funeral services of John N. Lineburg, for many years a respected citizen of this city, took place at the Christian Church on last Sunday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.  They were conducted by the pastor of the church, Rev. W.R. Foster, assisted by Rev. Robert L. Welch of the United Presbyterian Church. The attendance was unusually large and a spirit of sadness and sympathy shadowed the scene. Mr. Lineburg had been a sick and sinking man in the community for more than two years and a feeling of tenderness and warm affection had gathered around the friends of the family. Of course death is a common event and comes to us all, but at times because of unusual incidents, it becomes tender, touching and striking. After all death, a necessary end, “will come when it will come.”

The incidents connected with the life and death of Mr. Lineburg are in themselves peculiar and worthy of particular note. He was born in Sweden, a foreign land, August 26, 1851, and passed away in Portland, OR., June 18, 1918. At the age of fifteen influenced by Godly parents, he was confirmed in the Lutheran Church in Sweden. That formal church service, led by loving parents, had a happy influence on his life. It always remained in his mind as a reminder. Being thus dedicated to God, he had no other thought than at the suitable time of making a personal profession of the Christian faith. Hence some twenty-nine years ago he united with the Christian Church of Mount Ayr, and has during all these years witnessed a good Christian profession. He has been noted in the community for his uniform Christian life, “a living epistle of Christ.” His life was noted for its ease and every day Christian quietness and manner.

About two years ago Mr. Lineburg was visited with a stroke of paralysis, the result of Bright’s disease. Because of his natural physical vigor, his cased seemed hopeful and it was supposed that he might regain his health, but at last all hopes proved disappointing and on April 9th of this year, the Mount Ayr home was broken up and he was taken to the home of his daughter in Portland, OR., where he passed away on June 18, 1918. It was an expected event. He had longed for the change to come. He had already resolved itself into God’s good will: “Even so, O Father, for so it seemed good in thy sight.”

Mr. Lineburg is survived by his wife and daughter. He was the oldest in a family of eight, six brothers and one sister. Five of the brothers are in America, Andrew, Frank, Edward, William and Adolph. Carl and sister Louise, still live in Sweden. Mr. Lineburg was united in marriage to Miss Carrie Osborne on December 28, 1880.  It was a happy relation and she did him good all the days of his life. Two children came to the home, Mrs. F.A. Gridley and Miss Lora, who passed away August 8, 1901. The remains arrived here on Saturday, accompanied by Mrs. Lineburg, his brother Adolph, of McCook, NE., and other friends. Brother William of North Carolina, attended the funeral. Loving friends waited on the friends and remains arrival.

After spending some years, as is wont of young men, in seeing the world and looking about him in the strange land, Mr. Lineburg learned a trade of a shoemaker at Afton  and became an expert workman. He came to Mount Ayr in  1874 and conducted a general shoe shop with William Towle. In 1880 he entered the jewelry store of the Richardsons. Eventually he became the general agent of the American-Adams express companies, doing business in the city. He was known by all patrons as a nice Christian gentleman. He served many years as the city recorder and only resigned as the results of ill health, after many continuous years of splendid service. His records were models of neatness and correctness and admired by all. As a public servant he was prompt, honest and faithful. He did not seek the doing of great things but the doing well of that which came to hand. He was every way reliable.

Mr. Lineburg is a good example of a foreign young man coming to a strange land, with a common school education, plunging into the struggle of life in new surroundings and succeeding in life. He came to America in 1869 and cast his lot among strangers. He went to school one year. His foreign simplicity appealed to the good will of all. He soon made friends and doors were opened to him. he had been a member of the Masonic order for forty years and had attained to the Knight Templer and Shrine degrees. He was also a member of the order of the I.O.O. F. and the Modern Woodman of America. He always chose good company and lived a clean Christian life and merited the respect of his adopted country and those among whom he spent his every day life. The Psalmist points the picture of such a man in Psalm 37, saying: “Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright; for the end of that man is peace.”

Leave a Comment