Skip to content

Robert Henry Parsons

Robert Henry Parsons, son of Isaac and Jemima Parsons, was born in Louisa County, Iowa, October 1, 1856, and departed this live March 28, 1943, at the age of 86 years, five months and 27 days. He was one of a family of three children, his father and brother dying when he was only a few months old. His boyhood days were spent on the banks of the Mississippi River and when a young man, he was employed on a freight barge between Burlington, Iowa and St. Louis, MO. In 1879 he came overland in a covered wagon with his mother and stepfather from Burlington, Iowa, it taking three weeks to make the trip. They settled in Harrison County Missouri, and he has made his home there continuously, except for a few years spent in Worth County.

On February 13, 1881, he was united in marriage to Sarah Jane Smith. To this union were born ten children, Charles, Orville and Mrs. Bertha Cummings of Hatfield, MO., Alva of New Hampton, MO., Mrs. Minnie Daily of Clarissa, MN., who survive him, and Lawrence, Everett, Roy and Mrs. Gracie Murrin, who have preceded  him in death. Also surviving him are three half sisters, Mrs. Ida Smith of New Hampton, MO., Mrs. Lettie Johnson of Mount Ayr, and Mrs. Annie Moore of Hatfield, MO.; one half-sister died at the age of three years. His companion preceded him in death in the year of 1936. He is survived by 22 grandchildren and 20 great grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends. Since the death of his companion, he has made his home among his children, being at the home of his son, Charles, at the time of his passing away.

He had been in failing health for a number of months but had not been confined to his bed, being able to go to the table and eat breakfast the morning of his death. He had been a member of the United Brethren Church of Weaver Chapel for several years, later transferring his membership to Hatfield.

In the span of 86 years he saw two wars come and go and a third one come. his stepfather was in the Civil War and his two sons in World War I. And his last worries were of his grandson’s induction into World War II.

Funeral services were conducted at Wesley Chapel by the Rev. Charles Jones, of Allendale, assisted by the Rev. Yeager. The body was laid to rest beside his companion in the cemetery nearby. Pallbearers were grandsons. Music was furnished by the Wesley Chapel choir which sang “In The Sweet By and By,” “The Old Rugged Cross” and “Going Down the Valley.”

Leave a Comment