MARY MARGARET SANDERS WAUGH

MARY MARGARET SANDERS WAUGH WAS BORN NOVEMBER 28, 1912 ON A FARM IN LEWIS COUNTY, WASHINGTON. HER PARENTS WERE ELMER SANDERS AND EMMA MAUD OUDERKIRK SANDERS. ELMER WAS FROM THE IRENA NEIGHBORHOOD IN WORTH COUNTY, MISSOURI. EMMA WAS FROM THE SHARPSBURG AND MALOY AREAS IN IOWA.

MARY GREW UP IN WESTERN WASHINGTON, ATTENDING ELEMENTARY SCHOOL IN ONALASKA AND HIGH SCHOOL IN CHEHALIS, WHERE SHE GRADUATED IN THE CLASS OF 1930. SHE THEN TOOK NURSES’ TRAINING FOR A YEAR AT TACOMA GENERAL HOSPITAL. HER FATHER FARMED IN LEWIS COUNTY AND WORKED A LUMBER MILL NEAR ONALASKA. HER MOTHER TAUGHT AT THE FORREST SCHOOL. BY 1930 THEY OWNED A FARM WEST OF ONALASKA, ANOTHER FARM EAST OF CHEHALIS AND WERE SHAREHOLDERS IN A BANK IN CHEHALIS. THEY LOST THEIR PROPERTY AND HOLDINGS IN WASHINGTON DURING THE FINANCIAL COLLAPSE OF THE DEPRESSION AND RETURNED TO WORTH COUNTY, MISSOURI IN 1932. LATER THEY MOVED TO RINGGOLD COUNTY, IOWA. MARY WORKED FOR A TIME IN REDDING AS HOUSHOLD HELP FOR DR. AND MRS. O.L. FULLERTON AND IN MOUNT AYR AS A CLERK AT MAYLAND’S STORE.

ON MAY 3, 1937 SHE MARRIED CLARENCE WAUGH. THE SERVICE WAS PERFORMED BY REV. W.H. WARRIOR AT THE METHODIST PARSONAGE IN REDDING. THREE SONS, DAVID, RICHARD AND GERALD WERE BORN TO THIS UNION. MARY AND CLARENCE LIVED FOR A TIME WITH HIS PARENTS, FRANK M. AND MARY CATHERINE “MOLLIE” WAUGH. IN 1940 THEY MOVED TO A FARM EAST OF REDDING KNOWN AS THE HENRY RILING PLACE, WHERE CLARENCE WORKED AS A HIRED MAN FOR HOWARD GUTHRIE. IN 1944 THEY RENTED THE FARM SOUTH OF THE MIDDLE FORK CHURCH KNOWN AS THE HUGH DENNEY PLACE FROM BILL AND CLARA JEFFERSON AND COMMENCED FARMING. IN 1961 THEY PURCHASED THE ADJOINING FARM TO THE NORTH FROM CLAUDE AND NELLIE MORRISON AND MOVED THERE. THEY WERE LONGTIME MEMBERS OF THE MIDDLE FORK UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, WHERE MARY WAS A PIANIST AND SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER.

SHE WAS PRECEDED IN DEATH BY HER PARENTS AND HER HUSBAND CLARENCE, IN 1995. IN 1996 MARY SOLD THE FARM AND MOVED TO SENIOR CITIZEN RESIDENCES; FIRST IN MOUNT AYR, THEN JEFFERSON AND GRUNDY CENTER, IOWA AND THEN IN SAINT PAUL, MN. MARY PASSED AWAY AT THE ST. PAUL EPISCOPAL CHURCH HOME IN ST. PAUL ON FEBRUARY 25, 2008.

SHE IS SURVIVED BY HER SONS, DAVID AND WIFE PHOEBE OF ST. PAUL, MN.; RICHARD AND WIFE NANCY OF WEST DES MOINES, IOWA; AND JERRY AND WIFE MARCIA OF WEST DES MOINES, IOWA. SHE ALSO LEAVES EIGHT GRANDCHILDREN AND FIVE GREAT-GRANDCHILDREN.

SERVICES WERE HELD AT WILSON-WATSON & ARMSTRONG FUNERAL HOME IN MOUNT AYR ON SATURDAY, MARCH 1, 2008 WITH REV. SUSAN THOMAS OFFICIATING. ORGANIST WAS DEB CANNON AND THE MUSICAL SELECTIONS WERE “LITTLE BROWN CHURCH IN THE VALE” AND “AMAZING GRACE.”

CASKET BEARERS WERE MIKE WAUGH, MARK WAUGH, JONATHON WAUGH, JOHN WAUGH, BOB HART AND BOYD WAUGH.

HONORARY PALLBEARERS WERE CHRISTINA WAUGH, WILLIAM WAUGH, REBECCA WAUGH, TRISHA PIPKINS, JIM MARTIN, JASON MARTIN AND TED BOWLIN.

MARY WAS LAID TO REST IN THE MIDDLE FORK CEMETERY IN REDDING.

 

Leave a Comment