JAMES J. SHELDON

JAMES J. SHELDON

    James J Sheldon born October 14, 1937, in Hartley, Iowa to Rufus and Margaret Sheldon. Jim graduated from Central High School, Sioux City, Iowa in 1955.
    Dr. Sheldon (Iowa State’61) of Mesquite, Nevada, died September 16, 2014. A pioneer in the feed yard consulting business, he was the founder of J J Sheldon & Associates feed yard consulting group and Central Arizona Veterinary Laboratory located in Casa Grande, Arizona.
    After graduation, he practiced large animal medicine in Hilton, Iowa before joining the Army. He served in the Army Veterinary Corp, Fort Detrick, Maryland, Pathology Division, Walter Reed Army Medical Unit achieving the rank of Captain. After his discharge, Dr. Sheldon was a partner and practitioner in the Plaza Veterinary Hospital in Sioux City, Iowa, a mixed animal practice. He also worked in the Pathology Division Abbott Laboratories during his pathology residency.
    Following Abbot Laboratories, he taught in the Department of Animal Pathology, College of Agriculture, University of Arizona. As a Professor at the U of A, he did research in the bovine respiratory disease complex in the large integrated Southwestern feedlots. He was a visiting professor in the Department of Veterinary Pathology at ISU while studying for the pathology boards. In 1969 he was board certified in both Clinical and Anatomic Pathology.
    Following his tenure at ISU he was Professor in the Department of Veterinary Pathology in the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Missouri.
    In 1973, he returned to Casa Grande, Arizona to establish consulting and laboratory diagnostic support to the feedlot industry in the Southwestern US. Dr. Sheldon was an effective teacher throughout his career and instrumental in the success of many in the industry. The Associates grew to eight veterinarians consulting in the feedlot industry throughout the US and internationally. Also, during this time additional diagnostic laboratories were established in Texas, Kansas and Nebraska with the name becoming CAVL, Inc. The Texas lab was a USDA licensed facility holding a USDA biologies license.
    During his career as a consultant, Dr. Sheldon presented numerous papers and spoke at many producer and professional meetings. He also did consulting and product evaluation for several of the major chemical and pharmaceutical manufacturers. Dr. Sheldon was also involved in the feed yard industry as an owner of cattle and feeding facilities.
Dr. Sheldon was a member of the AVMA and a diplomat of the ACVP. He also served on the Board of Directors of WALCO, International.
    He was preceded in death by his first wife, Gloria, his parents, and brother Charles (Chuck). He is survived by his wife Carolyn, daughter, Jodi, four grandchildren and his sister Elizabeth Halpin.    
    Memorials may be made to the San Diego Zoo-Dr. James J Sheldon Memorial Fund, San Diego Zoo, P.O. Box 120551, San Diego, CA 92112.

Leave a Comment