If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
The Mount Ayr city council addressed a relatively light agenda in its first meeting of the new year, Monday, January 6.
The meeting was the first for new councilman Jordan Stewart, who was elected in November to fill the seat vacated by retiring member Don Solliday.
Ringgold County sheriff Rob Haley met with the council to discuss the purchase of a new patrol vehicle as stipulated in the contract between the county and city for law enforcement services.
Haley said he had completed the pre-application for a USDA Rural Development Grant to pay 35 percent of the cost for the vehicle. Under the grant provisions, the city would provide the remaining 65 percent to purchase and outfit the vehicle.
The proposed vehicle is a 2020 Dodge Durango purchased from Glendenning Motors in Mount Ayr for $31,828, plus another $14,214.76 for outfitting with a new camera and other equipment.
The council approved the local match of approximately $29,943.
In other business the council:
• reappointed Pam Poore as city clerk and Amanda Cannon as city treasurer and deputy clerk.
• briefly discussed the potential need to archive the city’s social media posts. Cannon told the council the law doesn’t currently require cities to archive such posts, but many have already taken the proactive step to do so. Recent litigations in other jurisdictions have required the handing over of emails, social media posts, and web pages. Cannon said she would further study the need and report back at a future council meeting.
• briefly discussed the city’s plans for a vacant lot at 206 E. Jefferson. In exchange for demolishing the dilapidated house on the property, the city recently took ownership of the lot. Councilman Brad Elliott said he would like to see the city provide incentives for potential home builders to return the lot to the tax rolls.